We’re Resilience Squadron – otherwise known as Greg Norman and Jack Vasvary. Our focus here and on our podcast is to share experiences and representation of disability and chronic illness across the Star Wars fandom and media universe.
We’ve been friends for over 20 years after bonding over Star Wars in college, as we prepared to watch the Special Editions in theaters, and shared news leaks about Episode 1.
Many years later, we’re still talking Star Wars and sharing stories.
About the Squadron
We started RS primarily as a social media effort, intending to find and share stories and information about disabilities in the fandom, and representation of disabilities in Star Wars media. But after participating in a disability-focused panel in the virtual ForceFest fan event in 2020, we were offered the opportunity to start a podcast on the topic. Nine episodes later, we’ve explored topics such as mental health, accessibility, and representation. But for a couple of guys with disabilities and the related life impact they cause, a regular podcast schedule can be grueling.
Now with the launch of this website, we hope to focus on creating more content, more often, in formats that are easier to share across social media. We plan to continue the podcast at a modest pace, putting out episodes when we can and when they’re ready. And in the meantime we’ll continue to talk about disabilities and their impacts here.
Topics we plan to explore here, on social media, and on our podcast include:
- Disability representation in Star Wars media
- Disability representation among Star Wars creators
- Accessibility of Disney Parks – Galaxy’s Edge and Galactic Starcruiser
- Supporting inclusive events – both large (Celebration) and small (meetups)
- Accessibility in Star Wars video games
- Disability terminology and etiquette
- Mental health in the fandom
- Star Wars influence on real world adaptive technology
- Creativity in the Star Wars fandom as an outlet
- Applying the lessons of Star Wars to our lives
Our overall goal is education. We want to learn more about all these topics ourselves, from people who are far more knowledgeable about them than we are, and to share what we learn along the way.
“How Do I Join the Squadron?”
Are you a Star Wars fan or creator with any kind of disability or illness that impacts your life, or even just care about people who are? Congrats, Welcome to the Squadron.
Be sure to follow us on social media to keep up with us on our missions: